Brill Place (Grand Central Apartments)
Client: Brill Place Ltd
Size: B, G, M + 22 Storeys, 68no. residential units (approx 4496 sq m / 48,396 sq ft NSA) over flexible A1/A2/A3/D1 floorspace at ground level (approximately 58sq.m NIA)
Status: On site
Brill Place is very visible and strategically important so requires a building of high architectural quality that responds sensitively to the distinctive character of Somers Town. Developing the design of this slender residential tower gave Stiff+Trevillion the opportunity to create a unique an eye catching structure that builds upon the positive features of the dRMM consent. We drew inspiration from the building’s park setting, and the the façade design makes reference to the dense network of railways which defined the historic context.
Key priorities include:
- Delivering an excellent building with a strong and appropriate presence.
- Updating the scheme in line with current building regulations and design guidance.
- Drawing inspiration from the building’s park setting and the site’s locomotive heritage to establish a facade treatment with depth and character.
- Introducing variation and animating the facade with slatted shading and planting.
- Providing efficient and well planned 100% dual-aspect apartments.
- Creating more homes within the same overall height, and unit mix.
- Integrating the proposal with the other Somers Town master-plan building (plots 01- 06) and the surrounding context.
- Rationalising the existing consent in order to maximise modern methods of construction and minimise disruption during construction.