Brill Place (Grand Central Apartments)
Client: Brill Place Ltd
Size: B, G, M + 22 Storeys, 68no. residential units (approx 4496 sq m / 48,396 sq ft NSA) over flexible A1/A2/A3/D1 floorspace at ground level (approximately 58sq.m NIA).
Completion: Summer 2022
Brill Place is very visible and strategically important so requires a building of high architectural quality that responds sensitively to the distinctive character of Somers Town.
Revisiting the consented scheme gave the opportunity to create a superior contemporary and sustainable building and builds upon the positive features of the dRMM scheme.
Key priorities include:
- Delivering an excellent building with a strong and appropriate presence.
- Updating the scheme in line with current building regulations and design guidance.
- Drawing inspiration from the building’s park setting and the site’s locomotive heritage to establish a facade treatment with depth and character.
- Introducing variation and animating the facade with slatted shading and planting.
- Providing efficient and well planned 100% dual-aspect apartments.
- Creating more homes within the same overall height, and unit mix.
- Integrating the proposal with the other Somers Town master-plan building (plots 01- 06) and the surrounding context.
- Rationalising the existing consent in order to maximise modern methods of construction and minimise disruption during construction.